Friday, February 26, 2016

I’M ALMOST 40! Or things I wish I would’ve known about myself sooner!

I want to chat with y’all for a minute.  I am less than two weeks away from my birthday.  This birthday reminds me that I am inching closer and closer to the BIG 4-0!  Yep, you read that right, I am almost 40, and surprisingly I’m not that upset about it.  I think it’s because no matter how close I get to the big 4-0, I know that Robert is still that much closer.  Or maybe it’s because we have so many little ones running around that I honestly don’t feel that old.  Perhaps it’s because the older I get, the less the age matters.  Or maybe, just maybe it’s something else.



If I’m being honest, I think that it is something else.  I am finally happy with me.  I am happy being a little overweight; yep I am not high school thin anymore and I honestly don’t care.  I am happy with my stretch marks; they show the lives that I have chosen to nurture and the legacy that I am trying to leave.  I am happy being someone who went to college late in life but is choosing to not use her degree;  I know what matter the most right now is my children and not my career.  I am happy being a mom of a HUGE brood of children; I honestly love having a big family and caring for my five kiddos.   In all honesty, I wouldn’t mind having more!   I am happy with being married to the same man for almost 19 years; I am thrilled that he is still loves me, warts and all, and is still here after all these years.  I am happy to be learning and growing as I mature; I am forever changing, learning, and growing and that is a huge gift.  I am happy with me!   Honest to goodness happy with me.   I just wish it wouldn’t have taken me almost 40 years to get to this point.

If I could go back in time I think I would know what to say to a young me.  I’d tell me to love more and worry less.  The problems that seem so extreme are honestly forgotten within a year.  And let’s be honest, a year is nothing in the lives that we live.  I would tell myself its okay to do what I think is best.  I can be a strong and independent woman and still honor my husband, my family, and most importantly my God.  I would tell myself that I do matter.  What I think, how I feel, what I believe is important.  I don’t have to limit or sacrifice myself to please anyone else.  I can still be who I am and be happy even if everyone around me doesn’t like what I think or say.  I would tell myself that looks really do fade.  I never thought I’d ever get bigger than a size 12, and now I’m a 14!  I never thought I wouldn’t wear makeup everyday or not polish my toes as soon as they chip.  As I’ve gotten older I’ve learned that the outer beauty isn’t as important as being me, I just wish I would’ve found this out sooner.  Lastly, I think I would tell myself that no matter how I look, what I think, or how I feel; I AM ALWAYS ENOUGH!  I might be totally imperfect, make a ton of mistakes, but in the end that’s who I am!  I am a perfectly imperfect daughter of the King.  I was made in His image, for His purpose, and for His glory!  And I’ve learned that’s enough!


Yep, I’m almost 40!  Yep, it’s no big deal.  Yep, my life isn’t perfect, I’m not perfect, and I am totally fine with that.  After all, I like being me.  I am happy in my own skin and I know who I am in Christ.  Knowing this, being 40 isn’t that big of a deal, it’s just another birthday, and I’m all for celebrating a birthday!





No comments:

Post a Comment