Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A LITTLE KINDNESS


I am not one who thinks that life will always be sunshine and roses.  I know that there will be moments when things are hard, people will be mean, and life will be unkind.  In spite of that, I look for ways to be kind to others, to show love and compassion, and to teach my children how to do the same.  Am I perfect, heavens no, far from it; but I am trying to do my part to make the world a better place for everyone, especially those that I come in contact with.  I try to tell someone that they look pretty, their children are well behaved, and that their time doing a task for me is appreciated.  This past week it seems like I have been the recipient of a lot of kindness, even more than I have been able to give out!

The first gift of kindness that I was given was the gift of a kind word.  I was speaking to a young lady who is expecting her first baby, a little boy.  I was smiling as she was telling stories of what to expect and how her life would be AFTER the baby.  I LOVE listening to these stories because I know that at one time I had them and I have since learned how my plans were drastically changed with the birth of each child.  Then she said something interesting.  A friend of hers was saying that having more than two kiddos is foolish, a mother can never love her third, fourth, fifth, sixth, etc. child as much as they can love the first two, and that a mother with more than two kiddos can’t meet all her children’s needs.  This sweet soon-to-be Mama looked at me smiling and said: “And I told her how wrong she was.  I told her that I met a woman with FIVE kiddos and as I watched her with her children, she did not show favorites, she showed lots of love, and she was an incredible mother to them ALL!”  Bing me, slightly clueless and not sure who she was referring to, I asked her who the mother was. She smiled again and said, “YOU!”  I was instantly humbled and over joyed at her kind words. 
It made my week to hear that someone who had only observed me in passing thought that I was a good mama.  That kindness has carried me throughout this past week of injuries, self doubts, and the everyday craziness of life.  This sweet woman didn’t have to share this with me, but she did, and it has made me smile every time I remember her kind words!

Another kind act happened to me this week while I was paying for my groceries at Publix.   The gentleman in front of me took one look at my two shopping carts loaded with groceries and commented that we must have a large family.  I smiled and responded I am the proud mama of five little ones here on earth and one little one waiting for me in Heaven.  This older gentleman got teary eyed and told me to keep on being a mom; there was no greater calling or reward for a woman.  Another kind word was spoken to me.  Another gift of encouragement was given to me.  What a blessing it was.

I could go on and on.  I’ve been told that I don’t look like I’ve had five babies this week.  I’ve been told that my children are very well behaved this week.  I’ve been told that I am doing something “right” by raising my children the way that I am.  I’ve been offered some much needed items for free in exchange for a visit from an old friend.  And all of this is amazing, wonderful, and a huge blessing to me. 

Christ tells us that we are to love our neighbors as ourselves and that anyone next to us at any given moment is our neighbor.   I want to follow His example and lead in this area and show more love to others.  I want to teach my children to love others more too.  Yes, it can be in the big things, but it is also in the little things and more often than not it is the little things that mean the most.

A little kindness has made my week, and it’s only Wednesday.  Knowing this, I must challenge everyone, including myself.  Please, find some ways to show kindness today and every day.  Find a way to encourage a mother, thank a veteran, serve a nurse, doctor, or a teacher.  Bake cookies and take them to the fire station or police station.   Pay it forward for someone in the toll road or drive thru.  Do something little to bless someone expecting nothing in return.  Why?  Because a little kindness goes a long way and as the recipient of a lot of kindness this week, I can tell you what a huge difference it makes!

No comments:

Post a Comment