Thursday, May 8, 2014

CLOTH DIAPERS…..AM I CRAZY?


In my quest to learn and do things in our family life that are better for our family, the health of our home, and the health of the Earth; I have decided to try cloth diapers.  GULP!  Yep, me, the woman who swore she would NEVER use cloth diapers has started an experiment with them this week.  Never say never right! HA!

In our process of going more natural and looking at what is best for our family, I could not move on in this process without looking at cloth diapers.  The impact of disposable diapers is not being fully felt; after all when I was a baby (30 odd years ago), disposable diapers were a new thing.   What we do know is that disposable diapers cost a lot of money, and with two little ones in diapers, that money can add up quickly.  So I have to be totally honest when I say that money is a primary motivator in this experiment.

Like any good modern woman, I did a GOOGLE search of anything that has to do with cloth diapering.  One of my favorite go to blogs about this subject is the Eco Friendly Family by Amanda Hearn.  I love how honest and detailed she is in her description of green life, including cloth diapers.  Honestly, I don’t think that there is a cloth diaper topic that she leaves out, from prep to overall care, she covers everything.  Her blog really helped me take the leap into cloth diapers.  More than that, the money savings posts really pushed me over the edge.  A great example of this is found in the blog post on Squawk Fox.  Really, this break down is humorous and pretty true! It was also from this post that I realized there is a resale market for cloth diapers, something you can’t do with disposables!  Add to that the texts and messages between myself and a dear friend and my sister-in-law and I thought that I was ready to make an informed decision.

Armed with all this information, I have decided to take the plunge.  I spent my diaper budget for Jacob and decided to purchase cloth instead of disposables diapers.  I was also blessed to be given a stash to work with until I found what I liked and worked best for us.  I am going to try cloth diapering for at least a month.  I’ll keep you posted about what I learn along the way! 

Am I crazy?  Maybe, but then again, maybe not, only time can tell.  Here’s to continuing to learn, change, and make healthy choices for our family, even if it means cloth diapering!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment