Wednesday, May 21, 2014

CLOTH DIAPERING


It has been two weeks since we started our cloth diapering adventure.  I must admit that I was a bit skeptical of starting this path.  I have used nothing but disposable with all of my kiddos and honestly thought I wouldn’t use anything but disposables.  I must admit that I do love Huggies diapers, especially for my boys.  In spite of my love and loyalty to Huggies, having two in diapers was getting costly, especially with the rising cost of food and our family size.  So I ventured into cloth diapering.

Let me say, two weeks into cloth diapering, I LOVE IT! 

When I told my mom I was going to be using cloth diapers she started telling me how I had to soak in bleach, dry on the clothes line, and then wash in hot water, then rinse again, and finally more clothes line time.  All of that was just for wet diapers; I won’t even get into the necessary steps for a messy diaper!  UGH!  I was totally over whelmed at that thought!  This was supposed to make my life easier, not more complicated! Then my friend arrived with her stash, and it was so full of options.  There were pocket diapers, AIO (all in one diaper), diaper covers, prefolds, inserts, doublers, wipes.  Then there were all the different diaper folds.  Like the Diva Fold, the Newspaper Fold, or the Angel Fold!  AHHH…..I felt like I was drowning!  So I asked my sister-in-law who sent me an awesome email detailing how she used cloth diapers on my nephew.  I researched what brands were best, decided to use prefold diapers, snappis, and diaper covers.  I ordered some prefolds, covers, doublers, and wipes from diaper junction, (mainly because they offered diaper service quality diapers on sale, A GREAT THING!), and haven’t looked back!
The generously shared starter stash!

Some of my new FLUFF!

Prepping the new diapers, yep, I spent a Saturday boiling diapers!


I LOVE how easy modern cloth diapering can be!  I also love how simple it is to use.  More than that I love how I am saving us money.   I have a large enough stash of diapers that I don’t have to wash diapers every day, I usually wash every other day.  There is also no magic wash formula that I use.  I use our regular detergent do a cold water rinse, hot water wash with an extra cold water rinse, line dry, and then fluff in the dryer.  It is actually more complicated for me to wash Robert’s work clothes than the diapers!   I will admit that I still use disposable diapers on Sunday when we are at church; it’s just simpler for the nursery workers.  I also still use disposables at night, I haven’t found the right nighttime combo yet, and it’s just easier than changing sheets every morning.
Aren't diapers on the clothes line cute?!?


I must admit, I never thought that I’d be one who loves cloth diapering, but I do!  I love the “fluff” (all the fun diaper prints and options.  I love folding diapers, in spite of the fact that I hate folding laundry, ironic huh!?  More than that, I love how Jacob looks in his cloth diapers; it makes his bottom look so fluffy!

Cloth diapering…..it’s fun and easy!  WOW!  Surprised me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment