Friday, April 25, 2014

ZOO DAY

Our homeschool group (CHEFF, which totally ROCKS!), planned a field trip to Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa.  I hadn’t been to a zoo since I was a little girl, and I remember not being impressed by it.  The zoo we went to was smelly, all the animals were in cages, and you literally just walked around looking at different animals in, well in animal jail.  Add to that the fact that I am not a huge animal lover (which is in and of itself very ironic since I married into an animal loving family and I am raising animal loving children), and I was a bit uncertain about going to the zoo.  BUT, we are studying zoology in our science classes and I am trying to do better about branching out and getting the kiddos out of the house more (like planning two field trips a month or so), so I signed us up to go.

The field trip was originally planned for the 15th of April and I was so excited because Robert was going to be able to go with us that day.  I had also asked his Mom or Mimi as the kiddos call her, to go with us. I didn’t want to drive to Tampa to a place that I had never been and go somewhere like the zoo without someone there to help me corral kiddos.  BUT, due to bad weather we had to reschedule the trip from the 15th to the 24th.  Robert couldn’t go on the new date so Mimi, me, and our awesomely amazing five kiddos headed to the zoo.
The main entrance.
 

Oh my gosh, I LOVED IT!  Really, I loved this zoo!  It was so cool!  There were rides, cool exhibits with animals in amazing habitat settings, air conditioned exhibits (a huge PLUS in Florida), and a lot of neat information and learning opportunities. They even had learning pages for us to print out about specific exhibits at the zoo on their website, too cool!  Seriously, this non animal loving Mama enjoyed her day so much (even getting totally and I do mean totally soaked on the log flume ride), that we are talking about getting zoo passes. 

The drive to the zoo wasn’t that bad, it only took an hour and 15 minutes or so to get there.  The zoo was really clean.  The layout allowed for a lot of air flow with the sea breeze helping to keep it cool.  The lay out was also really kid and family friendly.  The exhibits were awesome.  We loved seeing the elephants, giraffes, monkeys, wallabies, and the Florida exhibits with the manatees.  We loved riding the rides and playing in the splash zones.  We loved venturing into the special sea lion exhibit and learning about them and how they train them. It was too cool.  Seriously, it was an awesome day!

Maggie walking in the zoo.

Checking out the monkeys!

Mama and Cole hanging out with the bats.

Ethan riding in the flying banana!

The "jeep" ride in "Africa".



 
 
John Robert, Ethan, and Mama on the log flume ride!
You get more than a little wet, it's a HUGE splash!
 
 

 

More than the zoo exhibits, rides, and demonstrations, I was thankful that Mimi was there to share the day with us.  I want my kiddos to have fun and make memories with their family, all of them.  As much as I missed Robert and as much as I know he would have had a ton of fun at the zoo or riding on the roller coaster with John Robert (nope, I didn’t ride that or let John Robert ride it since daddy wasn’t there…I’m a chicken!), I was really glad it was just his Mom and me. 
Mimi waiting to ride the merry go round with Ethan and Cole.




Mimi helping Ethan get the courage to pet the sting rays.


Mimi holding Cole and heading to the next exhibit.
 
 
Family is important to me, and I really appreciated Mimi’s sacrifice in getting up before 6:00 am to drive two hours to my house to be there by 8:00 am just to go to the zoo with us.  Seriously, she went from the east coast to the west coast of Florida in one day just to hang out with me and my kiddos, now that’s love!  She took the kiddos on the merry go round, something I can’t ride anymore sine having kiddos, I get motion sickness easily.  She helped chase Cole and hold Jacob since his crazy mama forgot to bring her Moby Wrap.  Not once did she complain of being too tired or stressed about the trip.  She came and helped me make memories with my kiddos!  To me, this was the best part of the day.
I’m sure we will go back to the zoo.  There are some classes that they offer that we are thinking of signing the kiddos up for.  Ethan wants Robert to go back with us (his exact words were next week, HA!), and play at the zoo with all of us mainly to ride the log flume ride again.  I imagine we might get season passes; seriously it was that much fun and season passes would be the most cost effective for our family.  BUT, nothing will beat this zoo trip for me because Mimi was there! 
Thanks Mimi for coming along, playing, and being there for me and the kiddos!  You made the day extra special for the kiddos but even more so for me, and I thank you for that.  We love you!
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment