Monday, April 27, 2015

62 YEARS

My Grandma left us on Friday, April 17, 2015.  Her birthday was April 26th, so we all gathered together to celebrate her life on her birthday.  My Grandma passed away a few days shy of turning 81.  It was a bittersweet day for me.  I loved my grandmother, a lot.  She was my biggest supporter, the person who thought that I could do anything, and someone who encouraged my love of reading since it matched her love of reading too.   I have so many fun memories of her, sharing books, pouring through the J.C. Penney catalogs together, sitting in their kitchen eating, being given a new journal to share my thoughts with her,  having her sing the song she made just for me, and most of all listening to her stories.   As much as I miss her, I know that my Grandpa will miss her even more.  They had shared 62 years of love together.

My grandma loved to tell of how they met.  Grandpa was in the Navy and would come into the department store where she was working to play the newest Hank Williams album.  My Grandma didn't care for that style of music, but made sure it was ready for him when he came in.  That's how it started.  Soon, they had their first date.  Both knew that this was it.   After walking her home from only a handful of dates, he hollered back to her one day that he had a question to ask.  Her response was perfect:


        If it's what I think it it, the answer is yes.

That yes started 62 years of life together.  My grandparents were married for 62 years.  To me, this is simply amazing.  

I loved watching my grandparents interact together.  I loved watching my grandma's hands, she had the most beautiful slender hands (my aunt and my sister have her hands), as she held my grandpa's hand when walking or at the table.  In her later years as her health declined, her hand would reach out to him for comfort and he was always there, always.  I loved watching my Grandma's eyes light up when she told the story of the Hank Williams albums, how she answered his important question, and even how Grandpa taught her to drive.  I loved how Grandpa responded.  I loved how he'd smile at her and talk about what a lead foot she had once she learned to drive, how she was often compared to Maureen O'Hara, but for him there was no comparison; she was prettier than any movie star he'd ever seen.  I loved how much they loved each other. 

My grandparents spent 62 years together.  They raised three children, were blessed with four grandchildren, and nine great grand children.  They are an example of what love is.  Their legacy will live on because they taught us how to love.

I always associated my grandparents with Hank Williams songs.  After all, that is how she won my Grandpa's heart, having "his" music playing.  Yesterday, Grandpa shared with us "their" song.  The song was "Walkin' My Baby Back Home" by Johnnie Ray.



To me, this song is the perfect song for them.  I had never heard this song and it immediately brought tears to my eyes.   It was the story of their life together.  It was a song that was written for them.  Grandpa did walk Grandma back home.  After that important question, they continued walking together, for 62 years they walked side by side.  There was joy, there was laughter, there was heartache, and there were tears; but they never stopped holding hands or walking together. 

 I am so thankful for the love that they shared.  I am so thankful that I got to witness 62 years of love in action.  I am so thankful that my Grandpa walked Grandma home.  More than that, I am thankful that she told him yes and walked with him through the rest of her life.

My Grandma was a beautiful woman.  She had a huge capacity to love.  She had an incredibly giving heart.  She was an integral part of who I am today.  She was an incredible gift to this world.  As much as I miss her, I am so grateful that I knew her.  More than that, I am grateful that I knew my grandparents together, knew of their love, and now know what 62 years of love together looks like.  I pray that my life makes her as proud of me as I am of her.   I pray that I can honor the legacy of their lives, of their 62 years together, of what love is as I purpose to walk beside Robert and walk through our marriage together.  

I love you Grandma.  I miss you.  Thank you for blessing my life with your love.  More than that, thank you for saying yes and walking with Grandpa for 62 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment