Monday, January 14, 2013

HOMESCHOOLING TOOLS


Today I was asked about homeschooling!  While I firmly believe that it s the route that is best for my family, I am not naïve enough or narrow minded enough to believe that it is the BEST choice for every family!  I have already given a list of why we chose to homeschool, you can read about it here .For now, let’s move onto today.

Today I was asked what tools I use to homeschool.  I am a Sonlight Mama in and out.  I love the literature.  I love books (hence the English major in college), and I love reading to my children on a daily basis.  More than that I LOVE that all the lesson plans are done for me in the neat and tidy IG’s (instructor guides) that Sonlight prepares.  I love that using this curriculum for our reading, geography, and history also frees me up to look at other methods and teaching styles while fueling my need for good books.  I love how my children learn by reading.   I love how once I have purchased the books I can reuse them again and again for each little Best that we are blessed with! OH ~ Did I mention that I love the books?

I also firmly believe in the Charlotte Mason educational style of teaching.  I do not believe in tons of work books or “twaddle” just to keep children busy.  I think that children learn by being exposed to classical music, great art, and being outside daily!  Noting this, I have fallen in love with Queen’s Homeschool Language Lessons, Copy work Series, Pictures in Cursive, and Learning to Spell series.  I love that my son who struggles with proper writing is developing into a great writer by modeling the thoughts of other great writers and speakers.  I love the way that there is art work incorporated into the lessons.  I love the way that the lessons encourage narration and imaginative story telling.  I love the way that the lessons encourage my children to look at the world and then critically THINK about the world. 

Math is not one of my favorite subjects, but thanks to Math U See, even this mathematically challenged Mama is mastering the skills for math and learning along with her kiddos!  Math is fun.  Math does explain the world.  Math U See makes sense.  I love how it incorporates a Charlotte Mason feel while engaging the kids in all of their senses to learn how to use math.  It shows how to apply math to real life and master it at the same time. 

These are the tools that I use to educate my children at home.  Homeschooling is not for everyone, but for us it works.  We are all learning and growing together, and I for one would not have it any other way!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment