Tuesday, December 31, 2013

PRECIOUS MEMORIES


Most people take December 31st and use it as a time of reflection.  I am no exception to this.  However, I am not using this day to remember the past year, I am using this day to remember a remarkable man, my Grandpa; John Howard Peacock.

Grandpa passed away almost three years ago now, so this is the second birthday that we have not been able to spend with him.  He would have been 83 today.  He lived a life full of love, joy, and happiness.  BUT, he was also a humble enough of a man to admit that he made his share of mistakes in his life too.  He was a friend to all, a lover of all children, and more than just my grandpa, he was my friend.

I miss not being able to call him and hear “Hey Jennie” every time he answered my calls.  I miss his stories, how he and Grandma would squabble over the details and he would always sigh and say “Yes Mother” and then continue to tell the story HIS way!  I miss seeing his face light up just because I stopped by to visit or because I came by with the kiddos, and he ADORED his great grandkids almost more than his grandkids!  I miss his laughter, his smile, and his hugs; in short, I miss him!

When we lost Samuel it was oddly comforting for me to know that he was with my Grandpa in Heaven.  I wish he was here to meet our newest boy coming very soon.  I wish he could see how much my other kiddos have grown.  I wish I could hug him just one more time.  I wish I could tell him I love him again.

Our time on earth is so short and yet we live our lives as if they will never end.  We worry about things that don’t have a lasting eternal value.  We put all our stock and worth into things, money, power, prestige, instead of people and relationships.  I am forever grateful that I was loved by a man who put his stock into people, who loved me for me.

Happy Birthday Grandpa!  Give my baby boy a hug and kiss from me.  Enjoy sitting at the feet of Jesus today.  I will see you soon.  Until then, I love you and I miss you!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment