Friday, July 11, 2014

MY SONS


I love all my children.   Because of this deep and everlasting love that I have for them, I purpose to do what is best for our family and for our unique kiddos.  Homeschooling was just one of the many choices that Robert and I made in our quest to do what we felt was best for our family.  I love how much our lives have been transformed since we made the choice to bring our children home.  This decision was not made lightly, indeed a lot of prayer and seeking God went into play in the decision of bringing the kiddos home.  For me, it was the best decision that we could have ever made.

A huge by product of homeschooling that I had not thought of or bargained for was the way that my kiddos changed how they all relate to each other.  They aren’t perfect by any means, but they do act a lot more loving, it’s even caught the attention of Robert lately.  Like I said, they aren’t perfect and all of the togetherness is not something that they always want to experience.  There are days when we all need a break from each other.  There are moments when even I need a break from the kiddos.  In spite of this need to be a part, the overall attitude in our home has been transformed into one of servant hood and love.  Today was a perfect example of this unexpected change.

Ethan recently got a late birthday gift from Grandma Peacock.  John Robert has been working at being a responsible young man and purposing to mow some yards to make a little bit of money (mainly ours and Granny and Granddaddy Massey’s).  Both boys got paid this week, and they both had money to burn.  Today we ventured out to do some birthday shopping since Daddy’s birthday is tomorrow and errand running.  We hit the newly opened Rural King and Wal-Mart, our two closest stores and the ones that were on our errand running route.  At Rural King we got Daddy an awesome birthday gift and the animal feed.  At Wal-Mart we got some play things and they were mainly for the boys.

Since they were given different amounts of money, the two older boys had a meeting and decided to pool their money together.  Since Ethan had the most money he decided to purchase two things, John Robert purchased one item, and then they surprised me by purchasing Cole a toy with their change.  I didn’t ask them to do this.  I didn’t ask them to share their money or their resources; they did this on their own accord.

In our home we purpose to show love daily.  I am so thankful that my sons are seeing this and more than that they are choosing to live it out in a real way without prompting from their Daddy or me.  I am so thankful for the example that they have seen through the actions of their Daddy on a daily basis, like looking for ways to work hard and use what you have to bless others.  More than that I am thankful that they are listening to us as we purpose to teach and showcase the life and love of Christ to others.  I am thankful that they want to honor others, even if that person is their younger brother, just because they want to live the command of Christ when He said to “Love your neighbor as yourself”. 

My sons.  They are listening to me.  They are really getting what we are trying to teach.   They really do love each other.  They really are best friends.  As a mama, it doesn’t get much better than this.



No comments:

Post a Comment