Sunday, August 19, 2012

MAMA’A FAVORITE





Today as we were coming home from church we were discussing the impact of divorce on children.  As a son who lives with parents who were divorced, Robert knows firsthand the pain that it can bring.  We were also discussing the impact that family relationships have on siblings, especially when parents show favoritism to one child over another.  Certainly there are parents who do not realize they are doing this, and they purpose to love their children the best way that they know how, but there are time when a favorite is chosen.  It might be something as simple as the child being an only boy or the baby of the family, but the children can sense this and it can hurt; even as an adult.

I asked Robert if he thought we had shown any favoritism to our children.  Of course he said that we do not.  I wasn’t so sure.  As a Mama I love each of my children for their uniqueness and their own ability to bring light and joy to my heart, but I still didn’t know.  So, doing the only thing that I could, I asked.

“Hey Kiddos…..Maggie, John Robert, and Ethan……who is Mama’s favorite?”

No lie, at the exact  same time, all three of children responded.  I just knew that they were going to say that it was Cole since he is the baby and requires so much attention.  BUT, all three voices from the back seat  said at the exact same time:
“ME”! 

Robert glanced and me and smiled.   My eyes welled up with tears.  So often it is hard to balance being a Mama to a family with more than two children, but I had my answer.  And yes, all three big kiddos were right!  They are all my favorite!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh...such a sweet blessings to a mama's heart!

    ReplyDelete