Wednesday, November 13, 2013

WITH THE BIG KIDDOS AWAY THE LITTLE KIDDO AND PARENTS WILL PLAY!


My three big kiddos are off for an adventure with my parents.  This was not something that I planned; my mom literally called me and told me that they were taking the big kiddos off on these days.  No questions were asked, like if I minded or if I cared, the reservations were made and they were gone.  At first I was hesitant; I didn’t want the big kiddos away from me in the middle of the week, I wanted them home with me to do school and life.  I lost that battle, they are gone with my parents staying at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Lodge and heading to EPCOT in the morning. 

When the big kiddos left, they hugged and kissed Cole and waved goodbye to me.  Well, Maggie and John Robert hugged and loved Cole and waved to me, Ethan was sitting in my parent’s car honking to horn waiting on them to come.  I was crushed, not even a hug goodbye.  Robert pointed out that I am just Mama, but still.  Really, not even a single hug?  (Don’t worry; they have made up for it.  I’ve gotten three phone calls already telling me about the things that they have done, like the carriage ride, the restaurant, getting ready to head out to the campfire, and the text that just came in telling us all goodnight and I love you).

Robert and I have taken the time to do some fun things too.  For example, I fixed a meal fit for, well us!  The two bigger boys don’t like stir fry or egg rolls so I fixed that for supper.  Robert and I totally enjoyed our meal but more than that we enjoyed the fact that dishes were done by 7:00 and we have leftovers for tomorrow.  Then we spent the night marveling at how different things are with just one little Best in the house.  Daddy and Cole have played pony and had fun rolling and wrestling on the floor together.  Mama and Cole made bath time a time of adventure and bubbles, laughing and giggling while Cole played in the tub. 

After bath time Cole and Mama snuggled on the couch for a few minutes watching Andy Griffith until Daddy came in with some strawberry sparkle cake to share with Cole.  Next thing we know, Cole told Robert he was sleepy (he literally said “Daddeee, sweepy”), and they are snuggled in the bed while I share this little snippet from our day.

The one thing that I have noticed is that, more than anything we are all playing.  The big kiddos are having a much needed break from us and playing and enjoying their annual November Disney Birthday Celebrations.  The rest of the Best’s are playing at home, enjoying snuggles, hugs, laughter, and the joy of being home together. 

More than that I have noticed that even though we are apart, we are all sharing one thing, the joy of the moment and the love of being a family.  This is very evident in the phone calls we are getting, the hugs and kisses of a nearly two year old, and the ability to smile as a couple and talk to each other without worrying about little ears everywhere.  I LOVE that we are all playing!

To me, this is what a family does, together or apart, they find ways to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment