Monday, February 2, 2015

MORNING QUIET TIME~ Why I Need It!

My mornings are far from perfect, and Mondays seem to be the worst!   These last few days my mornings have been consumed with a sick little baby and three year old.  These two puny Best's have made it impossible for their daddy and I to sleep at night.  Lack of sleep makes for a hard morning.  Hard mornings make for exhausting afternoons.  Exhausting afternoons make for trying evenings.  Trying evenings make bedtime seem blissful, but then the pattern repeats.  It's a parenting roller coaster that anyone with little kiddos is very well familiar with.  It is also the reason that I crave my morning quiet and devotional time.  I NEED that one on one time alone with God to function.  If it doesn't happen my day is even worse than I described.

This morning I fed, dressed, changed Jacob, changed him again, showered, dressed, ate myself, and got the bigger boys up and running for the day.  Then I announced that it was time for me to catch up on my devotional time.  I had missed two days last week since the little's were puny, and I knew I couldn't function without some quiet time with God this morning.  Assuring me that they had it all together, I ventured into my room and shut my door.  This is how my 30 minutes alone with God went!

ME:  Good Morning Lord....


<BANG BANG BANG ON BEDROOM DOOR ACCOMPANIED BY SCREAMS>


CHILD 1: Mom.....Ethan just hit me!
CHILD 2:  I didn't, he hit me first.
CHILD 3: JEBANDKANKDNGAN
ME: Boys, please let me pray....

<SILENCE>

ME: {SIGH}, Good Morning Lord.  Today I want to thank you for my husband and thank You for my children.


<BLOOD CURDLING SHRIEK FOLLOWED BY THUD>
CHILD 1:  Don't hit me...You're a butt-head!
Child 2: Me am not a butt-head.  You a butt-head!
ME: Boys, please don't call your brother a butt-head.

BOTH CHILDREN: But Maawwwmmmm.....

<BEDROOM DOOR FLYING OPEN AND THUDDING WITH A BANG!>

ME:  Boys, I NEED to talk to God.  Please be quiet and nice to each other.  Mama has to pray!

<BEDROOM DOOR SHUTS SOFTER THAN IT WAS OPENED.  I GATHER MY BIBLE AND PRAYER JOURNAL.>


CHILD 1: Geesh, Mama is a grump.
CHILD 2:  <TAPPING ON DOOR> I wuv you Mama.
CHILD 3: BEJABKLJBJFA
CHILD 4: Come on guys, let Mom pray, you know how she is in the morning. 
ME: {SIGH}, Good Morning Lord.  Today I want to thank you for my husband and thank You for my children.........

It has now been 10 minutes of referring children through various grumpy Monday morning issues.  I am happy to report that I did indeed get to eek out some time with God this morning.  I finally threw food at the boys, all of them finally settled down for food.  

All of this to say, Mama's of Little Ones, please know that God knows how hard it is to carve the time out to spend with Him.  He isn't asking for much, just some time to refresh your soul and help you focus on Him.  It's not easy, but it is always worth it.  

Yes, I got to pour my heart out to God.  Yes, He was waiting for me and even let me walk away to deal with the emergencies of the moment.  Yes, I came out from my room after I got to talk to Him smiling and ready to tackle the day.  No, my kiddos aren't over their grumpy attitudes but they are getting better.  No, my morning hasn't been perfect, I am having to snuggle and rock the baby as I share this.  Has my morning been filled with laughter, happiness, and lots of love?  Nope, not by a long shot.

In spite of my morning, I did get my quiet time.  It is something that I need, indeed my soul longs for it and I can really tell a difference in my heart and attitude if I miss my time with God so I knew that today of all days, I had to make sure it happened.  Am I perfectly consistent in my quiet time endeavors?  No, I'm not, but God understands that, after all, he's a parent too!

No comments:

Post a Comment