Tuesday, February 17, 2015

No Sir, THANK YOU!



Today I had to do our weekly Tuesday grocery store run.  Today Maggie and the two little boys were with me as we ran into town for our weekly shopping trip at Publix.  We arrived at the store with no fanfare, it was just like any other day.  After cruising the aisles of the store, it was time to check out.  The little boys were getting antsy, so I gave my car keys to Maggie and asked her to load the boys up while I finished paying for the groceries.   This is where my story ends and Maggie's story begins.

"Mama, you won't believe what happened to me" she met me with as I opened the truck to load groceries in the back.  As we loaded our spoils she told me what happened to her and how it touched her and made her day.

"I was sitting in the truck waiting on you when I saw an old man pull in front of the buggy (shopping cart) return.  He had on a Vietnam Veterans cap and could hardly walk.  I could tell he was trying to get a buggy, so I just jumped out and got him one. 

'Have a good day sir,' I said as I handed it to him.  Mama, he got tears in his eyes when he told me 'Thank you young lady.'   That's when I said, 'No sir, THANK YOU for your service for me and my country.'  He smiled and walked into Publix.  That has made my day."

No, my precious Maggie, you have made my day.  Not only did you see someone who needed help, you saw a hero, someone who served this country before either one of us were born.  You saw a man who had a need, but more than that a hero who had fought so hard for our country and now was fighting to do something simple, like get a buggy.  Lastly you reminded me that there are heroes and patriots all around us and they come in many forms in our lives.  

As I work with the kiddos in their civics lessons for school, as I talk and struggle to pass on my love of country to my children, I realize that maybe, just maybe they are learning this.  More than that, they are seeing more than people, they are seeing the heroes of this world and they are choosing to honor them.

So to the man that was at Publix today, to my Grandpa P. and Grandpa W., to Robert's Granddaddy M. and Papa B., to my brother and my brother-in-law, and to every other man and woman and their family who has fought for our freedom.  Thank You!  Today and everyday we thank you for what you do for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment