Monday, May 28, 2012

I Remember


There is a verse in the Bible that states: “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.”   (John 15:13 NIV)  This morning I woke up thinking about this today.  You see it is Memorial Day today, the day that we honor those who have served our country and have fought for our freedom.  Today is a day we thank those in active military service or a veteran.  Today is a day for remembrance.

          Today is a day that I remember someone who was very important to me.  Today I remember my Grandpa, Staff Master Sergeant John H. Peacock of the United States Air Force. My Grandpa was an amazing man who enlisted in the Air Force at the young age of 16 (lying about his age), to serve his country in World War II.  He met my Grandma on a blind date while in New York.  He raised a family of four in England, Morocco, California, and Florida all while making three tours in Vietnam.  Last year at the far too young age of 80, he left this earth to begin his journey in paradise.  My world has never been the same.

          There is so much that I wish I could tell my Grandpa.  He never got to meet my youngest son, to make him talk and laugh the way that he did with my other children.  Grandpa had such an awesome way with babies.  I wish that I could hear him say “Hey Jennie” just one more time on the phone.  I wish, well there is a lot that I wish.  Mostly I wish that everyone could have known my Grandpa.  He was an amazingly special, intelligent man who did a lot for people everywhere.

          More than people knowing him, I wish that he and all the veterans in the world were remembered correctly.  I wish that all the heroes who have served our country were honored in the way that they deserve.  I wish that there were still ticker tape parades, jubilees for people returning home, people lining the streets mourning any flag draped coffin.  These are all things that I wish for our veterans.  More than anything, I wish that there was no reason for them to have to go to war or leave their families. 

          Today, as you go about your business, remember to thank those who have served and shed their blood for you.  They called you their friend.  They gave their lives for you and they did not have to. They chose to fight so you could be free.

          Thank you, Grandpa for your service to our country.  Thank you for being my Grandpa.  I love you and miss you daily!

No comments:

Post a Comment