Thursday, October 2, 2014

PREFOLD DIAPER & COVER REVIEW


As I mentioned in my AiO diaper review, Melanie from Sugar Britches Nappies is now offering prefold and cover sets for sale in her Etsy store.  Knowing that prefolds are my go to for my boys, mainly because they are so economical for any family, but especially for our family; Melanie asked if I would be willing to try her prefold diapers and the cover style she has come up with.  Once again my answer was a resounding, YES, because if I haven’t mentioned it before, I LOVE getting FLUFF mail!

I KNOW that there are a lot of prefold brands out there.  I was given a lot of size small prefolds (think newborn-15 pounds or so), by a gracious friend of mine who was excited to share her diaper stash and introduce me to cloth diapers.  Sadly, my little man wasn’t able to stay in them long.  So, I did some research and ordered the prefold diaper set from Diaper Junction.  I love it and I love using my prefolds.  Upon stating that, I was kind of skeptical as to whether or not I’d like the prefold and cover that I was being asked to try.  After all, why mess with what works right? 

Oh my stars, I was right.   I didn’t like Sugar Britches Nappies prefold and cover, I LOVED it!  First thing is that the prefold is cotton, but it’s more like a cotton flannel uber soft material.  To prep it all I had to do wash them.  That’s it, no boiling (that’s how I prepped my other prefolds), and no washing them five or six times.  These prefold style diapers are sewn together by Melanie.  In the middle she adds an extra absorbent layer; she calls her “magic layer”.  In it is some of the Zorby that she uses in her other diapers, (and is something that I love), and tops it with the light cotton material.  This layer is what sets these prefolds apart from other prefolds.  Why?

With Sugar Britches Nappies you prefolds you don’t need a snappi or baby safety pins, you trifold them and put them in the cover.  Most of the time when you do this fold and place method of diapering with a prefold, they bunch in the middle when wet and can shift out of place making your diaper cover wetter in the process. One of the reasons that I love prefold diapers is that I can use one or two covers all day for Cole and two to three covers all day for Jacob.  The beauty of covers is that they are always waterproof; you can just wipe them out as needed and change the cotton diaper on the baby.  But folding diapers and placing them into covers causes them to shift and bunch, a lot.  Another issue with trifolding a prefold is the size of the diaper.  This diaper folding method can make a baby’s little bottom extra fluffy.  That extra fluffiness can make it hard to find clothes that fit!


The adorable cover!

The inside of the cover showing the "pocket" for tucking the trifolded prefod diaper in.

A prefold comparison.  On the left is a Diaper Junction sized medium prefold.  In the middle is the prefold from Sugar Brtiches Nappies.  On the right is a size small cotton prefold (brand unknown).   





 BUT, Melanie’s prefolds didn’t do any of that.  The extra absorbent Zorby layer lets them catch a lot of moisture without a lot of shifting or bunching. Plus this magic layer that she sews into her prefolds wicks (or pulls) the moisture away from the baby without being too bulky the way that a traditional prefold can be.  Sugar Britches Nappies prefold diaper style is actually my preferred way of diapering my active two year old Cole.  More than that I LOVE how adorable the cover is and the way that it looks with his eyes.

   
Did I mention that I love this style of diaper on my Cole?


And that I LOVE this cover color with his eyes!


This cover set works well on Jacob too!




To me Melanie and Sugar Britches Nappies, has once again delivered with this diapering solution.  Her craftsmanship and attention to detail makes the prefold and cover set one that I reach for time and time again.  More than that, her price sets this set apart from all competitors and makes the prefold and cover set the one worth using!  Her Etsy store has the complete one size prefold set including six covers and 14 diapers listed for only $76.00.  In reality, that is a steal!  AND, the good news is that if you need more prefolds to change your active heavy wetters (like I do….HA), you can use the small size prefolds in her covers.

So please, head over to Sugar Britches Nappies, check out all her diapers and try some for yourself.  You will be supporting a phenomenal company, get to experience their excellent customer service, and be blessed with some diapers that you will love.  Don’t forget to check out her Pay It Forward diaper campaign while your there! 


**ONCE AGAIN, I WANT TO NOTE THAT I HAVE NOT BEEN PAID OR COMPENSATED IN ANY WAY FOR THIS POST.  THE VIEWS EXPRESSED HERE ARE MY OWN AND ARE A REFLECTION OF MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE PREFOLD AND DIAPER COVER THAT I WAS GIVEN TO TRY.  I DO GET TO KEEP THE ONE PREFOLD AND THE ONE COVER.  I DO WANT TO ORDER MORE!**




No comments:

Post a Comment