Sunday, January 18, 2015

TWENTY YEARS

Twenty years ago, I was a young girl who was a Junior in high school and thought that I was in love with the most amazing boy in the world.  Twenty years ago I stood in the arena of the Polk County Youth Fair in Bartow, FL and watched that amazing young man show what he knew about being a 6th generation Florida Cracker, a real Florida Cowboy.  He stood humbly in front of a panel of old cattlemen judges, Cari Lightsey, Glen Stokes, Mac Padgett, and Tim Barber, two who have since passed away, and did what he did best; pop a cow whip.  Twenty years ago he won that contest.  Twenty years ago I was so proud, he was my sweetheart.






 Today we got a phone call from one of the original judges, Cari called and said that they want Robert to return to Youth Fair and the Whip Popping Contest.  They want him to do another demonstration, this time on his horse to show how a true Florida Cracker uses a whip to work cows and deal with life on  a ranch.  They also want to honor Robert, the first ever winner of the Polk County Youth Fair that took place all of twenty years ago.


 Today I am a mature woman who married that amazing boy and have raised a family.   I have watched that young boy learn at the feet of Tim Barber how to make buckskin and build a cow whip in the true Florida Cracker style.  I have watched him teach this to his own children, passing down the legacy of the Florida Cowman to the next generation, not only how to pop a cow whip but how to make true buckskin and how to braid cow whips.  All of this has happened in a span of twenty years.  In spite of the time lapse, I still see myself as that young girl who stood in the arena of the Polk County Youth Fair and watched that amazing young man pop his cow whip for all the see.  I am also more in love with him than I imagined, all because of who he was and what he has become.  



Making buckskin to make a cow whip.


Getting all five of his kiddos in on the action.


The finished whip.

Some nylon whips that he has braided.

Teaching one of his boys how to pop a whip.
This was Ethan at 2 years old.




Twenty years ago, Robert won a contest for being who he is, a Florida Cowboy.  Twenty years later on Monday, January 26, 2015; he will be honored for being who he is, an amazing Florida Cowman who has now become a whip builder himself.  Once again I will be in the arena stands cheering him on, this time with help from our children, family, and friends.  I am honored to be Robert's wife and can't wait to see what will happen to us in another twenty years.

1 comment: