Saturday, December 13, 2014

NEW CHRISTMAS TRADITION ~ Preparing the Manager

I love Christmas.  I love the fact that it is the one time of the year that everyone seems to slow down and focus more on what matters the most.  Be it faith, family, or just a more general focus on love, Christmas time seems to be the time that the whole world focuses in on the good and not always the bad of life.  Then the reality of excited kiddos and the “ME” syndrome hit our home and I wasn’t happy. So I knew we needed to change the focus in our home to Christ.  Our new tradition of preparing the manager for Christ was born.

I can’t take credit for this idea.  I actually read it in a book that was given to me several years ago from a precious friend and veteran homeschooling Mama of seven!  The book had been her mother’s and knowing my love of Christmas and Christmas books she graciously passed the book onto me.  It was in this collection of short Christmas story’s that I first read the idea of preparing our hearts and home for the coming of Christ by serving others.  It was from this story my new all time favorite Christmas tradition was born.

Sitting underneath our Christmas tree in the middle of all the presents is a baby cradle.  Our family goal is to fill the cradle with enough straw to make a comfortable bed for the upcoming arrival of baby Jesus, our Savior on His birthday and the reason our family celebrates Christmas. Preparing the cradle takes effort, service, and love on our parts.  Best of all it is all done anonymously so no one knows who is doing what to serve.

Every Monday we draw names out of a hat to see who we will be serving the upcoming week.  The only rule we have is that you can’t draw your own name.  How you choose to serve your person is entirely up to you.  I know that the first week I never had to ask for the trash to be gathered up.  It was done.  This past week I needed the freezer defrosted and the boys working together did it to serve me (I think that one of them had my name, but I’m not sure which one.).  Every evening our bed is filled with a little bit more straw.  More than that, I have noticed a difference in the children and our entire family.  Instead of squabbles continuing, they are looking for ways to make the other person smile and laugh.  Instead of demands being made about “ME”, there are questions being asked on how to serve.  There has been more laughter.  There has been more serving hearts.  Most of all, I think that there has been more love shown in our home all because of simple acts of service, deliberately purposing to prepare our hearts and our home for the coming of the Baby Jesus.

Drawing names, John Robert let us use his hat.




Not too bad for the end of our first week.  As we get closer and closer to Christmas our bed is being prepared nicely.



The children giggle and smile as they do chores, knowing that what we do for the “least” we are doing for Christ and that we are working for Him in all things and areas of our lives.  There is laughter, smiles, and silly notes left on beds.  Clothes are magically put away.  Bathrooms are cleaned.  Even Mama’s dreaded laundry is being thrown into the washer or dyer for her.  Coffee is prepped in the morning.  All because our family is looking for ways to show love and prepare ourselves for Christmas morning.


I think that this is my new favorite Christmas tradition.  This simple “game” is helping us to focus on others more than ourselves.  It is changing our home this Christmas season.  Christ is being welcomed into our home; we are actively preparing ourselves for Him.  After all, He is the best gift we have ever gotten, period.

No comments:

Post a Comment