Saturday, December 27, 2014

CHRISTMAS OF 2014

I love Christmas, it is my favorite time of year for so many reasons.  This year, our holiday time has been challenging, and if I am being truthful, in many ways just not fun or what we expected it to be.  In spite of our personal heartache over some things, we had a great Christmas together as a family of seven.

We normally do all of our Christmas baking on the Friday before Christmas.  Sadly this year I got the stomach flu.  I was in bed all day, literally thinking I was dying, and I was so upset and bummed out about not being able to do the baking with the kiddos.  I shouldn’t have worried though, Maggie, being the amazing big sister and young woman that she is, got the supplies together and did the baking with the boys.  She even took a lot of photos for me.  Knowing this was Jacob’s first Christmas, she didn’t want me to lose out on any memories.











The Saturday or Sunday before Christmas the Best side of the family has a get together.  This year, like last year, Robert was on call and actually wound up working so we couldn’t attend.  But, after me having the stomach flu, I didn’t think they would mind us not sharing our germs.  Christmas Eve is the day that we usually celebrate with his side of the family and all of the Massey’s.  Sadly we weren’t able to join them for this due to some circumstances that were beyond our control.  But, Poppa Best came to our rescue and joined us for some relaxing fun time on Christmas Eve.  Poor Maggie wasn’t feeling well and went to bed with a migraine, so our annual pajama and reading tradition was cut short.  I don’t think any of the kiddos even slept in their Christmas jammies this year.  I know that it’s a silly thing, but it is something that bothers me a lot.


Christmas Eve fun with Poppa Best





Making silly faces waiting on Maggie to get her meds.






Finally time to open Christmas Eve presents, new pajamas.




At LAST it was Christmas morning.  We told the kiddos not to get us up before 6:00 so Jacob wouldn’t be too grumpy.  I was up at 5:30, so excited I couldn’t stand it.  I had to WAKE my kiddos up at 6:30 for our family time.  It was the perfect morning.  We opened gifts, including our big family gift of new camping gear, we ate a big family breakfast, and then spent time playing with our new goodies.  For me, this was the time it finally felt like Christmas.  No one was sick, no one was hurt and disappointed, and no one was sad; we laughed, relaxed, and enjoyed each other.  At 1:00 we headed to my folks home to visit with my Grandma and parents and celebrate Christmas with them.

Christmas morning FUN!





Time for Christmas with Nana and Papa and  Great Grandma Peacock!










While this Christmas season didn’t go as we had hoped, and we were disappointed and saddened by a lot of things, one aspect was even more precious to me; my family.  My children were amazing as they loved and served each other to prepare the cradle for the birth of baby Jesus.  My husband was awesome as he got more and more excited over being able to make memories with his children.  My heart is full because within the confines of our small home, we saw God in action in full pursuit of our hearts with His love.  All because of the holiday we call Christmas. 


Chrismtas of 2014 was not the perfect Christmas, but it was one that was ful of joy, laughter, and love.  That is what makes this our BEST Chrismtas ever.

1 comment:

  1. All's well that ends well. Right? :) I'm glad you were able to see all the good, even if things didn't go the way you'd hoped.

    ReplyDelete