Monday, March 16, 2015

20 YEARS ~ My High School Reunion is Coming Up!





It's been almost 20 years since I graduated high school.  Robert was class of 1995 and I was class of 1996, so technically he's already been out of school for 20 years.  Recently on Facebook I was added to the group that is planning our high school reunion.  In 2016 I will have been out of high school for 20 years. I must admit that I have mixed feeling about this, very mixed. 

I enjoyed high school, but I don't feel like I ever really "fit" in.  I didn't grow up with the kids, we moved down when I was in 8th grade.  I hear people say that high school was their favorite time of their lives.  For me, that is simply not the case.  I wasn't happy with who I was in high school.  I never felt like I really fit in.  I wasn't sure of who I was, let alone who I was supposed to be.  I wasn't sure who I was supposed to be in Christ.  

After high school all of that changed. I am finally comfortable in my own skin.  I like who I am now.  I know who I am.  I have confidence in my intelligence and my ability to not only be a mother but also the mother who teaches her kiddos.   Then I start thinking about high school and old insecurities come back.  Here I am, a grown woman with five children, happily married for almost 18 years; and the thought of high school intimidates me.  Funny huh?

I want to go to the reunion.  It was actually the topic of discussion with my Robert on our last date night.  There are some people that I would like to see.   Then I think about high school.  Then I start to feel insecure again and wonder if I should go?  I start to panic thinking that I need to loose at least 40 pounds.  Then I start to think about how I now have lines around my eyes and around my mouth.  Then I start wonder if I even showed up if anyone would want to talk to me or if they would only want to talk to Robert.  Then I start to think that if I don't show up I doubt if anyone would miss me.   Then I look in the mirror and see who I am now and wonder why I feel insecure in the first place.



I know that we have time to plan if we will go to the reunion.  But for now I will wonder how in the world I can honestly say I remember 20 years ago when I was in high school.  I will wonder how on earth I can have a daughter that will be a sophomore in high school very soon.  I will ponder how Robert and I will be celebrating 21 years together with 18 of them being married.  And I will seriously consider going to my high school reunion; 40 pounds over weight, wrinkles around my mouth and eyes, and secure in who I am as a proud wife and mother. 


No comments:

Post a Comment