Saturday, March 28, 2015

THE HOUSE THAT WE REBUILT




We are slowly but surely remodeling our home.  We got off to a GREAT start in 2011 when we redid the master bathroom and added a front porch, which I didn't think to blog about!  Then in 2012  we redid the great room floors, which I did share about in the blog.  Then life happened at the end of 2012 and our home improvements stalled out.  

Truthfully life stalled out for me in a lot of ways after I lost Samuel.  It has been hard for me to find the spark and joy of life.  More often than not, I was just purposing to make it through the day  With the passing of 2013 and the surprise gift of Jacob in 2014 joy has slowly started to return.  With this returning joy and thanks to the inspiration that is Pinterest, I am slowly getting into the remodeling bug for my whole life including our house.  

I am slowly gathering ideas and deciding what is my style.  I am not looking at what I think Robert or the kiddos will like, but I am starting to choose what I like!  Sure, there are some compromises that have to take place, but hey, that's with anything in life and marriage.   I am looking at Pinterest and browsing the internet with some great results.  I am finding my voice and growing more and more comfortable with what I like.  I am enjoying this journey.

I think that our first big new project will be updating and remodeling the master suite.  We will start with our master bath, nothing major just paint and adding some linen storage.  Seriously, this house has no storage, NONE!  Then we will tackle the master bedroom and the closet.  We have new floors to put down, they will match the great room's wood look.  I want to paint, redo the furniture, get a new rug, and dejunk and organize the closet.  The big thing to happen will be moving Jacob out of our room and into the boys room.  This will free up some floor space for me to finally have something I have always wanted, a place for me to scrapbook.  

After we are done with the bedroom, we will head into the great room.  This year I updated all our family photo display, I will have to share pictures of that soon, and I updated our entry way.  My goal is to find a paint color that Robert and I agree on and look at updating my homeschool desk and the room in general.  Nothing much really needs to be done in here with the exception of painting and light cosmetic touches.  

Then we will move into the kitchen and laundry room. Then we will tackle the spare bathroom.  Then we will tackle the carpet in the kids rooms.  I imagine that these will be updated  over the next few years.  Since we are tackling things on the weekends and they have changed the call out schedule for Robert our time is limited, we have to plan and organize things.  This doesn't bother me in the least.  We have a plan and are slowly moving forward.  I am thrilled that we are moving in the right direction.

I can't wait to see where this journey takes us.  More than changing our home, I feel like we are really building our lives.  We are moving forward in the house that we rebuilt into our home!

No comments:

Post a Comment